Tuesday 17 September 2013

Winning is not always winning!!

A patient came to me with the complaint of lack of happiness in his life.
I asked him "why you are sad"
patient : "I am not sad"
psychiatrist : "but you just told me that you are not happy"
patient : "Yes! i am not, but i am not sad"
psychiatrist : so, please tell me what is your problem?
patient :" I am not able to feel happiness in my life, i am feeling numb..i want to feel happiness but not able to.."
psychiatrist : Do you have any stress in your life?
patient: "I guess apparently not singnificant enough."
(i started enquired about the signs and symptoms of depression and other mental illness which can produce such behavioural changes.e.g. appetite,sleep,concentration,energy,agitation,suicideal ideation,depressed mood but did not get any positive findings beside that patients sociooccupational function was normal)
psychiatrist : "I guess you are brunt-out.You need relaxation."
patient: "May be you are right but i am trying it .I am going throgh biofeedback and using relaxation strategy but i am not able to feel happiness."
psychiatrist : So what you feel rightnow ?
patient: "I am not happy."
psychiatrist : "Can you tell me since when this feeling started?"
patient : "Yes, 1 month back."
psychiatrist: What happened 1month back?
patient :" I won lottery of worth rupees 5 lakh."
psychiatrist : Oh! its just great,you are a lucky man. So you should feel happy about it.Is not it ?
patient: "Yes you are right,my wife also suggest me in this way."
psychiatrist: So,what is the problem.
patient: Doctor i won the 2nd prize the 1st prize was of 10 lakh.
psychiatrist : ......!!!!.uhh!uhhh!Okk...you will be alright you should undergo a cognitive restructuring programme.
SUTRA!!
1. Winning or loosing is relative.
2. It is person's attitude which is important for happiness.
3. You can not win always.
4. By loosing one go through the process of improvisation and analysis.

No comments:

Post a Comment